Artificial Nails - For Perfect Nails Every Day
By Dr Bianca Tavares
False nails can be applied professionally in the salon, or you can apply them at home using widely-available nail enhancement kits. They come with their own adhesive and are easily cut and shaped to the style you want.
So, assuming you want to fit the nails yourself, how do you get started? Here are the six simple stages:
1. First, clean and dry your own natural nails. Then file and shape them in preparation for attaching the artificial nails.
2. Then - very important - choose the right size artificial nail for each finger. File the edges if necessary to get an exact fit.
3. Now spread a thin layer of nail adhesive over the whole area of your natural nail that will be in contact with the artificial nail.
4. Position the artificial nail such that it is very close to, but not touching, the cuticle. Then apply a light pressure to the top for a short time to allow the glue to take hold and set.
5. Once the nail is set firmly in position, file off any rough edges.
6. Apply two coats of nail varnish of the color you require, then finish off with a layer of topcoat to seal it.